More Green Mangoes...

More of my daily grunts: What makes me happy, what makes me sad, what ticks me off and what makes me mad! This is the Chronicles of a Working Mom, a Full Time Wife and a Girly Girl :)

dimanche, juin 07, 2009

How To Raise Men We'd Want To Marry

** Excerpts from Valerie Monroe in Oprah's 'Live Your Best Life' book. **

"Attention mothers of sons: Women of the future are counting on you!!"

Not to disregard parents of little girls, but I've always felt that as a parent of a boy, I (with the Big Guy) have a greater responsibility in raising a boy who will, in time, turn out to be the kind of man any woman would love to marry.

I encourage emotion from Jake.
I openly display physical affection. I shower him with kisses and hugs, and in return get showered with the same.
I allow empathy and sensitivity.
I foster affection.

Studies show that boys who get affection, love, respect and compassion grow up whole and happy. And boys who are encouraged to show their emotions grow up to be the men who fully grasp the nature of love.

Last week during the Culturaly Day affair at school, Jake displayed some actions which made me feel proud as a mother of a boy. He paid special attention to his partner, Andrea and never left her side the whole time. They danced very well together and I was glad that he got paired with this cute little girl. After the dance, when all the children and parents went back to the classroom for snacks, I noticed Jake pull a chair for Andrea to sit on. I saw him go up to the table to get a slice of pizza, and a few minutes later, saw him go up again but this time getting 3 slices. I stopped him and said he should just get 1 slice at a time, and that's when he said "Mama, I'm getting one for Andrea and one for Jael too." He decided to get extra slices for the girls in his table because like he said "so they don't have to stand up anymore." Then after the pinata was opened -- all the boys rushed in to get the loot and I noticed that the girls weren't able to get any. I saw Jake with a handful of candy and toys and I asked him if he can spare a toy for Lisa. He gaver her the ring that he got. Then he turned around and saw that Diana, Amelia and Jalen didn't get any so he gave them some of his loot as well (without being told) and he ended up with just 1 tattoo and a kabooze.

I watched my boy as he displayed acts of chivalry, willingly and with no hesitation, at 6 years old. And I felt proud. And my heart became full. I told the Big Guy about it, with tears almost welling up in my eyes. I watched my 6yo boy and realized, maybe we are doing a good job as parents after all.

Sure he's mischievous at times.
Sure he's rambunctious at times.
He is 6 years old, after all.
But at 6 years old, he has done more than most boys older than him have done.
At 6 years old, he plays rough and runs around like a normal 6 year old boy should.
But at 6 years old, he understands how he should be around girls. That's more than I can say for some men.

So I figure, if we continue to emphasize to Jake the importance of striving to be the best man he can be, then atleast I can be at peace knowing I did my job in making sure there is one less jackass in this world!!

Libellés :

2 Comments:

Blogger Mickee said...

Regie and I have noticed, long before, that Jake is truly a good kid. You and Nelson should really be proud. Maybe you ought to share some tips as well, hehehe!

mercredi, juillet 01, 2009 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Aww.. thanks Mickee! What a nice thing to say! As for parenting - no secrets here ... just taking this parenting thing one day at a time. Learning as we go along ;).

jeudi, juillet 02, 2009 12:44:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home