Predicting the future...
Last night while watching Sweet Sixteen on MTV, I had a tangent thought...
For some reason that would totally be beyond me - it has been a trend in the Philippines that parents throw outlandish birthday parties for their children. Now, before you say "what's wrong with that?" - let me mention that these parties are for children under the age of 5! Parents rent hotel ballrooms, have the food catered by the best of the best, loot bags that can sit side by side with the swag bags given at the Oscars, and not to mention video and photo coverage.
Now I know - to each his own... and whatever floats their boats I suppose. It's their money, that's their business. I just want to see where this whole thing would cap off.
But then it hit me ...
The kids that have outlandish birthday parties when they can't even say their names, might just be the same kids that demand birthday parties of ginormous magnitude ala Sweet Sixteen. The kind of birthday party where giving your child a car isn't unheard of - it's got to be a car that's atleast $80K (I guess a Honda Civic is out of the question), a new Rolex, and flying out to Rodeo Drive to get the latest haute couture (on your private jet, of course!).
** The scary part is they've already featured 3 Filipina girls on the show.
And do you think that ends there?
Nope...because they have another installment to that sequel.
It's called Bridezilla!
** Sure enough, another Filipina girl made it on the show!
And on that note, I think I will stick to my guns and do the whole birthday parties at Grandma's house, with plastic loot bags from the party store, cake from Safeway and call it a day :).


3 Comments:
I totally agree with you, Jo. I don't see the logic of big parties.
Instead of parties, hubby and I opt for getaways for our baby. A cake is already enough to thrill my baby. :-)
BTW, I'll be in SFO area next week..:-)
I think I'll get slammed for my views yet again, but so what? :)
Let me know when you'll be in town. Let's hook up, ya?
Jo, I'll be there on Tues and Wed. I arrange an EB with Mickee on Wed. after office. Sama ka? :-)
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home