I must be getting old...
Mom and Dad were nice enough to watch the little boy while we attended the wedding. It was nice go get all dressed up and have fun as husband and wife, instead of Mama and Daddy. Doesn't happen all that often, but when it does, it's really nice :). Oh yes, I finally found a dress at the 11th hour - at the mall down the street from our house! The last place I thought of looking, and lo and behold they had the kimono-style dress I was looking for! I then just had to drag the boys to find a pair of kick-ass sandals and I was set for the wedding ;).
A asked earlier on if she can borrow the bahay kubo (native house in the Philippines) that my Dad made for our own wedding, to use as the Wishing Well instead of the cheesy, lace-frilled boxes sold everywhere. Of course it was our pleasure, as I'm sure my Dad is thrilled that his hard work (and countless hours) are being put to good use by our friends and not just by us. As a sign of sweet gesture, A put a little note by the kubo mentioning that it was from our family. Thanks A! It was our pleasure to share it with you on your special day.Anyways, it usually happens that after attending someone's wedding, it makes me realize how 'neat' (for a lack of better word) it is that couples find their way together, and everyone has their endearing stories of how they end up together, and take on the journey as husband and wife (and the Big Guy and I are surely not any different).
In a couple of weeks (18 May to be exact), the Big Guy and I will be celebrating our fourth year together as husband and wife. A week after that (23 May, to be exact!), we will be celebrating 6 years of being together as a couple. It's been quite a journey, and I'm so glad we're in it for the long haul :). It made me think - none of this could've have happened if I turned the car around. What do I mean by that...? Let me explain ....
The Big Guy and I had arranged to meet up for lunch halfway, him coming from his parents' house and me coming from mine. I was running late as usual, and I knew he was going to be on time. I was on the freeway when I got a call on my cell; I picked up the phone and the voice on the other end asked "Where are you?". I hurriedly said "I'm on my way..I'm running late but I'm on my way!" He then said "Well I'm at your mom's house!" and that's when it hit me that it wasn't the Big Guy calling me, wondering where I was. It was L-the-Ex, who showed up at my parents' house after arriving from his Manila trip the day before.
Ok..before ya'll think how scandalous that was... let me explain! L-the-Ex and I were already broken up before I met the Big Guy. The Big Guy and I went on our first date without L-the-Ex in the picture. L-the-Ex and I had dinner before he left for his trip, and had a lengthy conversation about where our relationship was going and before we left each other that night, we said we'll discuss 'us' more when he gets back. For the month that he was gone, the Big Guy and I got to know each other, and decided to go out on another date, which brings me back to the day...
L-the-Ex was at my house and the Big Guy was at the other side of town, waiting for me, and I was literally in the middle, physically and emotionally. Without hesitation, I told L-the-Ex that I was going to meet a friend for lunch, and kept driving. He asked me what time I was going to be back home; I said I don't know. He came by because he had some stuff for me from BFF C whom he met with in Manila and he wanted to drop them off, and 'pick up where we left off' before he left for his trip. But I kept driving. I was late for my date. Without second-guessing, I knew where I had to be.
And so... six years later, with four years of married life, we are still driving but this time, in the same car, with a car seat in the back ;).

Discussing our future...


3 Comments:
Happy anniversary! Cute story! Thank God you didn't turn back! :)
Here's to more years of married bliss...
awwww! your love story is soo sweet! happy anniversary to you and big guy. :-)
Thanks for the greetings, Mickee, Gem & Monet!
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home