More Green Mangoes...

More of my daily grunts: What makes me happy, what makes me sad, what ticks me off and what makes me mad! This is the Chronicles of a Working Mom, a Full Time Wife and a Girly Girl :)

jeudi, juin 22, 2006

"So when's the next one?"

"Why...are you going to push it out for me?"

It's as if they are asking me when's the next Last Call sale at
Neiman's. That I know! When I'll be pregnant again - I don't!

It really irks me when people ask me or the Big Guy that question...and one of these days, I will just snap and say something unpleasant. I'm usually good when it comes to come-backs, but this question always leaves me stunned and forced to have the fakest of all fake smiles.

"Not anytime soon...someday" seems to be the automatic response to the unnerving question. Although it tempts me oh-so very much to retort the following:
1. Do you have $30 a week for me to buy formula for a good 12mos?
2. Will you be willing to have sore, cracked nipples (TMI, I know - sorry) and breastfeed my child?
3. Do you have $30 every 2 weeks to buy a box full of diapers?
4. When do you have time to sit down with me and discuss college funds?


Since it seems like 'others' are more eager for us to have another baby, I think it's just fair that they face some questions and have answers ready, don't you? I mean - my parents asked the Big Guy and I questions like these when we told them of our intentions to marry ("Where are you going to live? Are you going to be financially ok?...") so I think it's just befitting that I ask these people some questions as well. I wonder....

It amazes me that people think it's their god-given right to ask in the first place. It's just like when people think it's their right to touch your tummy when you're pregnant without asking if it's ok to touch your tummy. I hated that! It's like, you never touched me when I wasn't pregnant, what makes you think you're ok to touch me now? Again, as much as I hated it then, I didn't know what to say to make people stop. So next pregnancy, I came up with two solutions:
1. Buy one of them
shirts that tell people to back off. (No need to be polite here!) Note to self: Make sure to order enough to last me all 9mos!
2. Simultaneously grab a boob or squeeze a butt-cheek without asking. See how shocked they'll get.

It's just not the right time for me and the husband. Of course we'd like to have another one (a girl preferrably, but healthy a priority!) and just like with our pregnancy with Jake, it will come when we're ready for it.

So until I can come up with a better answer, am I just going to smile my uneasiness along? That really bites.

1 Comments:

Blogger Misis14 said...

my standard comeback for these pesky questions is simply 'Why do you ask?'
other effective comebacks are 'Ask the Universe' or 'Ask God' or 'it is still being discussed in the Senate'...:-)
have a nice weekend. :-)

vendredi, juin 23, 2006 7:36:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home